14" Bowie Knife – The Hunting Legend Reimagined
Historical Overview: Born in the forge fires of James Black in the early 19th century and christened in honor of the formidable Jim Bowie, the Bowie knife stands as a paragon of hunting tools. Originating from Arkansas, USA, this knife has woven itself into the very fabric of hunting culture. With its iconic large sheath, cross guard, and unmistakable clip point design, it represents more than just a knife – it's a legacy.
Contemporary Significance & Design: While the name "Bowie knife" is often used to refer to any large sheath knife, its distinctive design features set it apart. Modern iterations generally sport a blade ranging between 6 and 12 inches, characterized by its width and thick steel. Beyond its obvious aesthetic appeal, the Bowie knife's design is purposeful: the suitably sharpened curved top clip excels in skinning, while its straight edge near the guard is primed for precise meat cuts. At Battling Blades, the Bowie knife is not just recreated – it's perfected. Crafted with exceptionally thick steel, our Bowie knives are benchmarks of quality, made for both hunting aficionados and collectors. Note: This knife, though formidable, is intended for hunting or display and is not marketed or sold as a weapon.
- Material: This blade is a masterpiece of Pattern-welded Damascus steel, a culmination of heat-treated, meticulously folded carbon steel. With 11 segments of steel folded five times, this blade unveils an intricate 352-layer pattern.
- Strength & Endurance: The Rockwell hardness rating between 55 and 56 HRC ensures a delicate balance between blade sharpness and durability. The use of high carbon 1095 steel, known for its robustness, ensures the knife's edge retains its sharpness even after extensive use.
- Handle: An exquisite amalgamation of green resin accentuated with brass pipes grants both ergonomic comfort and visual allure.
- Handle: Green Resin augmented with Brass Pipes
- Length: An impressive 14" from tip to handle, ensuring versatility and dominance.
- Sheath: A leather sheath, both protective and aesthetically pleasing.
Blade Material: Damascus steel, composed of:
- 6 Layers of Carbon Steel (#43 and #40)
- 5 Layers of High Carbon Steel (1095)
- Layering Details:
- 1st Fold: 22 Layers
- 2nd Fold: 44 Layers
- 3rd Fold: 88 Layers
- 4th Fold: 176 Layers
- 5th Fold: 352 Layers
Conclusion: The 14" Bowie Knife, with its high carbon Damascus steel blade, is not just a hunting tool – it's a piece of history reborn. Whether you're a seasoned hunter, a knife enthusiast, or a collector with an eye for timeless beauty, this Bowie Knife promises to be an unforgettable addition to your repertoire. Embrace the heritage and be a part of the legacy with this unparalleled hunting blade.
This is the 2nd blade I've bought as a gift from Battling Blades. This one was unlike any bowie knife I've ever seen. It has multiple cutting surfaces in unusual angles that I could only describe as wicked. The damascus blade is thick, heavy and beautiful. The only complaint would be that the main cutting edge was not as sharp as the other surfaces. The good part is that it can be easily sharpened. I am thoroughly pleased and will keep looking at other knives & swords that Battling Blades sell since my wife asked me when I was going to buy one for myself?? She has a good point....
Very great blade! Love it! It's full tang. And boy is this blade thick. When you swing it comes in with force from he weight of the blade alone. Chops right through wood. And the edge stays unscathed. It's quite impressive!
They claim these aren’t battle ready. As a martial artist I disagree. The weapon is full tang and made of high quality quarter inch thick carbon steel. It will be your buddy during the apocalypse! The factory edge left some to be desired, though this is completely understandable . Right now my Bowie wants to cut through the sheath. For less than 70 dollars… five stars from a tough critic!